Monday, March 29, 2010

My first blog - some of what I have learnt over the last few months.

Well, God put it on my heart today that I should start up a blog, so I have.

'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God' (Matthew 4:4).

'All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God' (Ro 3:23), including me, of course. And since 'the wages of sin is death', I deserve to be eternally punished in hell forever (Ro 6:23). However, God, out of his pure, undeserved love for us, 'made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God' (2 Co 5:21). In other words, God sent Jesus into the world to be 'the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world' (Jn 1:29). As a result I have been saved, and have eternal life to be with God forever when I die. Also, 'I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me' (Gal 2:20). Thus, as 2 Corinthians 5:21 points out, I have received Christ's righteousness, because Christ lives in me.
Thus, I am completely acceptable to God, and can therefore 'approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that [I] may receive mercy and find grace to help [me] in [my] time of need' (Heb 4:16). I can also 'give thanks in all circumstances', which is 'God's will for me in Christ Jesus' (1 Th 5:18). I can do this because I 'know that in all things, God works for the good of those who live him' (Ro 8:28).
Overall, 'this is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins' (1 Jn 4:10). And 'since God so loved us, [I] also ought to love [others]' (1 Jn 4:11). Why should I do this? God told me to, so I will, but I also want to, because what I am actually doing is making my body available for Christ to love others through me. For 'I no longer live, but Christ lives in me' (Gal 2:20). I don't need to be capable of loving others: God himself is the able one. However, I am making myself available to God. And by allowing God to love others through me, I am, by God's strength, encouraging my fellow Christians. I can also, by God's strength, love non-Christians and witness to them, hopefully bringing them to a knowledge of the gospel.
So where does this fit in with today's passage? Well, the Bible is a manual for how to love other people, among other things. I want to learn about God's love for me, and in turn, how I can love God back and allow God to love other people through me. For 'all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work' (2 Ti 3:16,17). And this is because all scripture is in some way related to the gospel message - our motive for loving other people.
Thus, I want to immerse myself in God's Word, learn to love people more (in God's strength), and bring more people to a knowledge of the gospel.

That's essentially some of what I have learnt from reading a book entitled "Classic Christianity" by Bob George for the past few months. It's been an awesome read, and I recommend it to everyone.

God bless everyone,
Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment